Saturday, November 21, 2009

Copics With Printer Ink...

I posted the other day about experimenting with using my Copics and images printed using my printer as I had heard conflicting reports on whether the Copics made printer ink bleed or not...

[Supplies: Tinsel Town - Melissa Bennett, Tinsel Town Stamps - Melissa Bennett, Oh Christmas Tree - Lauren Grier, Sweet Holiday Digital Stamps - Julie Billingsley (all from SSD) ...plus Copic markers.]

I made this card using supplies and digital stamps from Sweet Shoppe Designs and started off with 4 digital stamps (ie. just the black outlines). I printed this onto the usual cardstock that I use with my Copics (Georgia Pacific) and I used my Canon printer (I always use genuine Canon ink).

Ooops...looks like I should have done more of a close-up on what Copic colours I used - sorry about that :( Hope you can still make them out.

Anyway, I took great care in not necessarily colouring over or on top of the lines, so I guess you could say that I was pretty careful, but... for me, Copics and my printer worked just fine! I'm so excited about this as it means a who new world is open to you with all the digital stamp designs too :)

Of course I can't guarantee that this will work for everyone and different cardstock and/or printer/ink might not give the same results. The little experience I have had with "compatible printer ink" (which I really won't touch since then!) makes me think that this could possibly have a worse result too... but as I said, I really don't know.

If you want to try for yourself I would just recommend being very careful at first (you don't want to ruin your expensive markers!!) and go very carefully up to the printed lines. Colour a little and then wait and see what happens before you colour the whole image and potentially could suddenly find yourself with your marker tip stained with printer ink (horror!!).

...I also used a Spica At You glitter pen to go over some parts of my coloured/shaded images. You can never have too much glitter :)

I hope this little experiment and the info was useful to some of you. :)

6 comments:

scrappyjacky said...

Thanks for this info....may use my copics with a printed image now.Lovely little images.

Casey Wright said...

I love this! What a great idea for a holiday card. Thanks for sharing!

Jessica said...

Oh goodie, this give me hope for when I finally get some ink for my printer!!! We've been out of it for a long time. It's so expensive! Your coloring is beautiful! As usual!

Elisa said...

Great info, Anso, thanks, I want to start playing with digi stamps & was wondering what's the best thing to use to colour them. So far I've been digitally colouring them, but I would like to try the "live" method too.

& Happy belated Birthday!

Amy's Stocking Stuffers said...

Pretty card -- sweet and simple design!

I have a laser printer so it already heat sets, which is an advantage with Copics and such, but it also means the paper has to go around a roller, so I'm not sure how well it will work with heavier card stocks. Oh well, I'll have to play with it! (I need a LOT more Copics too -- I only have a very basic set of 12 so far.)

Jeannette Siciliani said...

I was so excited to find your blog. Thanks for your help with the printer and copic information. I'm going to order my first digi stamp now. Copic Markers Rule. I'm completely addicted to that now too!